Fall 2016: NEW Joy of Living Women’s Bible Study, “Shattered Dreams: God’s Unexpected Path to Joy!” begins Oct. 13. Contact Darla at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-986-7046 for info & books. Meets Thursdays 2 times a month. 6:30-8:30pm at Bethany, October through April. Full flyer available HERE.
. . . . . .
Dear Women of Bethany – Women of the ELCA,
The WELCA directory is now available at the Welcome Center or the main Bethany Office. I simply wanted to take a few minutes to update you on Women’s Ministries. It has been a good year for us!
- Quilters: Our quilters retired in February, having lovingly made quilts by hand for years. Those efforts garnered thousands of dollars for special projects in the congregation. We are deeply grateful for their ministry and miss seeing them on Wednesday mornings!
- Patchers: Our faithful Patchers continue to make quilts to send to needy families in the area and Lutheran World Relief. We find them happily sewing every Monday!
- Circles: There are three circles who meet to study God’s Word, enjoy fellowship and grow in faith.
- Altar Guild: Altar guild women serve the Lord’s Supper each week during worship. They add to our services with grace and commitment and supply the napkins and baptismal cloths.
- We sent a quilt, handmade by Connie Gerkin, for the graduation and ordination of Rev. Dr. Mamy.
- Other study groups: Faithful Readers, Women’s Spirituality, Darla’s Group meet and also build one another in faith. These are wonderful women’s groups that enjoy fellowship and learning.
- MOPS: Our mothers of preschoolers gather to learn and support one another in their parenting journey. What energy they have!
As women of the ELCA, we send quarterly offerings to the Rocky Mountain Synod of $125. Your offerings help offset this cost and we would ask that you continue to support the larger church and women’s ministries in this way. Check out page 20-21 in the directory for more information.
Beginning in January 2013, we are implementing a new way of turning in offerings. Kim Finnin, our treasurer, has made a form that each leader can fill out. It will act as a ‘deposit slip’ so that we have a paper trail of money coming in. Groups will also get a quarterly statement so that you can view your offerings.
The spring holds several activities which I invite you to keep a look out for! In January, weather permitting, Cheryl Katschke will lead anyone who is interested on a hike. In February, Laura Romig will invite you all to a movie showing. We’ll hold a spring tea headed up by Kim Finnin. And this summer, Delia Stewart will guide us on an antique tour, lunch, or something very fun!
You are the Women of Bethany, the Women of the ELCA. I am proud of you and proud to follow the Lord with you. May you be blessed!
Join in to reach out! Did you know that we collect items to give to those in need?
Bring your pop tops for the Ronald McDonald house for cancer. These little pieces of metal are sold for cash at recycling centers. In Minnesota $28,000 has been generated by collecting over 22 tons of tabs. ‘Keep pulling for the Denver and Aurora Ronald McDonald Houses’! (www.ronaldhouse.org/poptabs.html)
Do you have any old eyeglasses sitting around the house? Those are donated to the Lion’s Club Program ‘Glasses for the Masses’. Glasses get cleaned and then the prescription is read and made available to missionaries and people in countries where eyesight care is minimal. (www.denverlions.org/Glasses-for-Masses~220907~13760.htm)
What about Campbell’s Soup labels? They are being collected to buy interactive white boards for the classrooms of persons living with disabilities at Bethphage/Mosaic in Axtell, Nebraska. (www.mosaicinfo.org/axtell/ways_2_help/index.htm)
New unopened toiletries are donated to women at the Gathering Place; a day shelter for women and children in downtown Denver. (www.tgpdenver.org/donate).
Please donate your items into the wicker drawers below the flower calendar in the Narthex. Thanks for joining in to reach out!